25 December 2006

Gamble by Ambrose pays off

From Crash.net, 22Dec06



GOLD Coaster Marcos Ambrose took the biggest gamble of his life when
he left everything behind and set sail for the United States a year ago.


was a two-time V8 Supercars champion and at the top of the game when he
decided to try for a career in NASCAR -- the most popular and
competitive motorsport leagues in the world.

One year on and it looks as if the gamble is set to pay off for the 30-year-old.

It
was announced yesterday that Ambrose will compete at the highest level
of US motorsport next year when he competes in up to 10 NASCAR Nextel
Cup events. He will race under the Team Australia and Aussie Vineyards
banner, and will be backed in part by Gold Coast businessman Craig Gore.

NASCAR has three racing series -- the Nextel Cup, the Busch Series and the Craftsman Truck Series.

Ambrose
will line up in the entire 35-race program of next year's second-tier
Busch Series, as well as at least two races in the Nextel Cup -- the
highest level of NASCAR.

It is an amazing progression for Ambrose, who spent 2006 as a virtual unknown competing in the truck series.

He finished third in the Rookie of the Year standings, despite having missed the first three races of the year.

Ambrose said he was rapt with the opportunity to step up the ladder, and believes the future is looking bright.

"It's
been an exciting year and it's exciting for me -- it feels like I've
made it," he said. "All I wanted to do was compete in the Nextel Cup
and we've got our chance.

"It's a unique chance for us and we've
confirmed two races with another potential eight during the year
depending on my progress."

two confirmed races in the Nextel
Cup next year for Ambrose will both be road course circuits, which will
suit his style perfectly.

"That's why we have chosen to do the
road course because we know we can qualify for the race and we know I
should do OK on the road courses -- it's my heritage," he said. "I've
got a lot of learning to do on the ovals, and when I am ready we will
do some oval racing in Nextel Cup as well."

One of the biggest
changes racing in NASCAR as opposed to the V8 Supercars is the
different level of aggression shown by the drivers.

And Ambrose said he had to re-adjust himself when he first arrived.

"You've
got to be very aggressive and it's one of the things that I lost when I
came to Australia -- I got fines and penalties and I really had to curb
my actions," he said.

Ambrose knew it was a huge risk giving up
everything in Australia to try and break into NASCAR, where he is a
small fish in a very big pond. But he is happy he took the gamble and
has no regrets.

"We had a great run in Australia and we are
really proud of what we achieved here," he said. "I decided to have a
challenge at NASCAR and leave my comfort zone.

"It's great I have
a team in America who believes in me long-term, and we have re-signed
with the team Wood Brothers-JTG racing until end of 2011."



Technorati Tags: , , ,



powered by performancing firefox

No comments: